Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My "Baby Austin" is 3 and not such a "Baby"

All people with kids don't blink! If you blink all of the sudden your kids grow up!

When did I blink? Wasn't it yesterday Austin was born? When did I get old enough to have a 6 year old AND a 3 year old?

When birthdays come around for my kids it's always so hard to believe they are another year older, mine not so much. I remember the day they were born and then all of those little moments that were great after that. I remember that first year and how hard it felt and the before you know it they are a year old. Then things start to get really interesting when the start walking and talking. You are trying to teach them manners and hopping that one day it will stick. You are trying to teach them right from wrong and worried about what people are thinking about you when thay throw themselves and the Wal-Mart floor having a total melt down. (not that my kids EVER did that!) You try so hard to be that good parent that you look around at others thinking they must have it easier than you.

And then they turn 3. Manners are sticking, fits are less, sharing is better, eating habits are better. Now my "Baby" isn't a baby anymore and he is 3 years old.

I remember so well when we found out we were having another baby. I remember when he was born and then taking Austin home from the hospital. Then I was the mother of two little kids, two boy little kids. I was potty training one kid and nursing another, I thought I was gonna lose my mind. This was hard, really hard. I remember hearing Austin cry and laughing because it sounded like the weirdest cry on earth. Then the colic came! God, help me! He had colic for 5 months and I was a human pacifier, I didn't care as long as it kept him happy and quiet. The year came and went, colic ended and then we had to go through the crying it out phase. I was that mom that didn't let him cry at night the first year and would still get up in the middle of the night with him. Austin didn't sleep through the night until we made him cry it out.

Well now Austin is 3. He has become such a great little boy. His speech is improving so much, his manners are good. I love how he tells you "Thank you Momma" for every little thing. He gives great hugs and even better kisses. He shares and now if you give him something he has to take one to his brother too. He eats well and has good table manners. And most of all the boys sleeps!
I am so proud to be the mother of such a great little boy, two great little boys. The great thing about having boys is that for now, I am the only girl in their world. (well except for the beloved Sussa, she's a close second)
I thank God for picking out this little boy just for me. I hope I make him proud in the way I raise him. I will always try to remember to enjoy all the little moments.

No comments: