Friday, January 30, 2009

Austin has Scabies :(

Last night when I got home from work I put my stuff down and kissed my boys hello. Well when I went to kiss Austin he was scratching his butt and saying, "hiney, hiney, hiney" and was kinda fussy. I asked if he had poopy and he said, "no, I itchy". Well he has a form of exxema, so I thought that maybe since the weather is cooler it flared up again. I take a look at his hiney and it looks soooo bad. he had what looked like bites on him and he had scratched it raw and it looked like he tightened his butt muscle and couldn't release it. Okay so we go for the benadryl cream... screaming baby, screaming baby!!!
To the bathtub it is! after a nice warm bath and some liquid benadryl he finally crashes out only to wake up 8 times in the middle of the night. Now that he is in a big bed I just crawled in the bed with him to get some sleep. I knew at that point we would be making a trip to the doctor today.

This morning we get up and head to the doctor's office, thankfully they fit us in early. After the doctor looking at him and consulting the nurses and their medicle books they come to the conclusion that he has SCABIES!? What the heck is that I ask???

Well if you look up on webmd.com there is lots of information on what it is but short version is that it's like a mite that burries itself in your skin and then causes a rash. Kind of like a chigger but it takes lots of creams and stuff to kill it. Unlike chiggers though it can be passed to anyone and is very contagious. I have to wash all surfaces and bedding and clothing this weekend. I also have to take all our pets to the vet to be checked for the animal form of scabies.
Animal scabies can not be transmitted to humans or vise versa. Still just to be safe our doctor said we should get them checked.
We get a RX for 3 creams to apply and one of them all of us in our little family(excluding pets) have to put on from head to toe before bed and wash off in the morning and do it again in 7 days.

So today I am leaving work early, hopeing I didn't share this bug, (no pun intended) with my co-workers. And tonight we get to rub up with cream, sounds fun huh!

1 comment:

Morgan Matula said...

Awww.....I'm so sorry!!!! Poor baby! :( Praying for ya'll!