Thursday, April 2, 2009

Report card

I was emailed Andrew's third report cart for the year yesterday. I think they have 4 semesters and I get all of the info pertaining to Andrew via email. Gotta love technology!





So they don't grade K5 kids like they used to do us where it was an A,B, or C. Now they have "mastered, almost always, sometimes or never" on the reports.





Andrew is by far the youngest in his class. Some of the kids are almost a full year older than he is. I think we may have jumped the gun on him going to school. he was too big for where he was at though and he needed a challenge. he turned 5 in july and started kindergarten in august. Because of his birthday he was old enough to start school, old enough but not mature enough. He has worked so hard this year, harder than I think most kids in the class. And he has struggled so much too, it breaks my heart. We do worksheets with him at night too to help him catch up to the other kids. Even with all the work we have done together he is still going to end up repeating kindergarten. But with his age he won't be any older than his classmates next year. Thankfully his best friend is going to a different school next year too ao he won't be behind him and in the same school. All of this stuff is a heart wrenching thought process. I have spent many hours thinking about this stuff. We want him to have a better foundation and if he's not where he needs to be for 1st grade than i would rather him repeat now and have an easy time is 1st grade.

Anyway... back to report cards

I got Andrew's and it showed he was greatly improved! He also came home with ribbons pinned to his shirt that said "most improved" AND "best conduct".
While I'm not too surprised with the best conduct it is still great to see. And i'm so glad that his teacher has noticed how hard HE has worked! I don't expect my kids to be the smartest in the school but we work hard on manners and being respectful and polite.
I am so proud of Andrew and all he has accomplished this year and i know next year will be even better!

No comments: